History

 

First Baptist Church of Lynn Haven was organized February 29, 1912 with five members present. The meeting place was the Bank Hall. The first property was donated by the St. Andrews Bay Development Company lots 17-18 on Pennsylvania Avenue facing west. The first building was started by appointing a building committee on January 17, 1913. This building was completed on April 21, 1913. The first pastor was Rev. D. A. Tucker who was called November 28, 1913.

The building was moved to Lots 17-18, Block 157 on Virginia Avenue in 1914. Sunday School classrooms were added in November 1928. There is no record of the date when the church building was moved from 10th Street to the center of Lot 2, Block 172 on Pennsylvania Avenue. On September 2, 1951, 32 members and Rev. E. D. McDaniel participated in ground breaking ceremonies for a new sanctuary. The first services were held in the new sanctuary in January 1953. This building was completed under the ministry of Rev. W. C. Brumbeloe. On October 13, 1957, dedication services were held for a new Education Building consisting of 20 classrooms, 5 departments, the Church Office, Pastor's Study, and a Kitchen.

The church started raising funds for an additional Educational Building in 1964 under the leadership of Rev. J. W. Dubose. A Child Development Center which included a pre-school kindergarten and day care program was started in September 1967 under the leadership, of Rev. J. A. Cornielson. Rev. Don Jones was called by the church in January 1980. The resident membership at that time was 611. First Baptist Church of Lynn Haven has grown in membership over the last several decades and eagerly awaits the Lord's purpose and call for the future.